:: m a y h e m b y m i s s m ::

do you have any idea how hard it is some mornings to make a glass of water without vomiting?!?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Let's not get knocked up before we enter college...

Today is National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

Now, normally I really don't give two shits about "heavy" stuff on my blog. I get enough of that in real life. But this really hits home for me.

I honestly don't care which side you fall on when it comes to the issue of abortion. But seriously, we need to do something, as a nation, about the teen pregnancy problem. If you honestly think this whole teaching abstinence thing is working, you really need to have reality smacked into you. BIG TIME.

Unplanned pregnancy is almost a way of life in my family. Why? Because until this generation my family was Catholic. Good Catholics. Birth control was not something to discuss, because goodness knows NO ONE is having sex until they are married in front of God and their family. Yeah, great philosophy until a child announces she's pregnant (or a male child announces he knocked someone up). Yeah, glad to see that's really working for you (a quick estimation would say that out of all my cousins only two of us were "planned" in and out of marriage).

What really kills me is my aunt, who I think is one of the most amazing and giving people on this planet, didn't talk with her children about birth control because she was certain that none of them would slip and fall into that particular sin. This coming from a woman who at age 19 was kicked out of the house by my grandmother because she was pregnant. Who also was then four months pregnant when she got married (not to the guy who fathered the first child). This woman KNOWS temptation and knows that being close to God isn't always going to cut it.

BIRTH CONTROL, PEOPLE!!

So what happened? Last year her own daughter announced she was pregnant at age 20. She had to leave NYU and return home. Why? Because she wasn't informed about BIRTH CONTROL.

My own mother never discussed birth control with either me or my siblings. Why? Because as good Christians we would never be tempted enough to go down that path of destruction. Realistically, it's AMAZING that my mother is not now a grandmother. My sister was having unprotected sex at age 14. I can't even tell you how scary that was to find out.

BIRTH CONTROL, PEOPLE!!!

I know that this is a difficult and totally embarrassing topic to have with your children, but seriously would you rather have this conversation or the one where you are showing your 16-year old kid the proper technique for diapering a child??

just saying...

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home